Sunday, September 16, 2012

America in China? Whaaat?

These past few weeks have been flying by. Life in Nanjing is finally starting to feel like...life, not a vacation in some foreign land. We had the opportunity to visit Shanghai for the weekend last week. We had district conference there so everyone from our ward went. It was short lived but fun! After conference on Saturday, we heard that Shanghai had a Carl's Jr so we ventured out to find it. Now only did we find it, but they had a dairy queen and Krispy Kreme too! We were in America heaven! We didn't hold back and I think I ate enough calories for our entire trip. It was crazy that Shanghai was so Americanized. I was pleasantly surprised but everything was double the price of course. We spent the night exploring in what seemed like NYC. I found an awesome knock-off book stand and got a book was less than $2! Gotta love the prices. The next day after church, we went to a place that is known as the Bund, a French looking area on the river where you can see the whole city, but sadly we got rained out. I am ashamed at the amount of pictures I took there but besides shops, there wasnt a ton to see. I think my favorite part was how American it felt. I think It was much needed.

The one & only pic in Shanghai at District Conference

So something else exciting is that I got a job! I am teaching English to a bunch of cute, rambunctious Chinese kids. I teach two classes five days a week. One class is pretty crazy because they don't speak any English but I teach an advance class which is my favorite. The other day I was teaching them about American culture and all they said they knew was that we all have guns and George Washington had wooden teeth. Hey I didn't even know that! I think it's helping my Chinese too. But it works out perfect so we can still travel on the weekends. I am  very blessed and thankful for it. Well all is well in China, have a good day!

1 people said...:

Lisa Shumway said...

It's fun to hear about the things you guys are experiencing and,I'm glad things are going well for you guys. We missed you at the Thomas family reunion though. That's cool that you were able to get a job.