Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Nanjing.China.


This is my hometown of Nanjing. It is quite a place. We see a lot of strange things here, including random chickens roaming around in not so clean areas. Just like any other major city, it has its nice areas as well as its bad. One minute you will be walking in a very nice neighborhood and the next it'll look like you are in a third-world country. This place has everything we need so I don't mind it at all. Some cultural differences that I've noticed here is that they let their kids go to the bathroom whenever and wherever they are. They don't wear diapers, its crazy. Even if its in the middle of the side walk. Also, they don't believe in personal space. I had to get used to this quickly. They are the worst at cutting you in line at the grocery store. I even had someone yesterday start shopping out of my cart. She started taking stuff out like it was no big deal and I had to get it back from her. They are insane, skilled drivers here. I would NEVER drive. In addition, the kids have so much homework. Lots of my kids have told me that they do homework from 4-10pm EVERYDAY! I am pretty sure I didn't have that much homework in college. And lastly, the food is real good and they have peach Fanta! My favorite.  I am excited to learn more about the people and culture here cause it is definitely different from what I am used too.

2 people said...:

Sarah said...

I enjoyed reading this. Interesting cultural differences. I've observed several of those differences here in America (especially when we lived in California and shopped at the Asian hangout Costco). But fortunately, diapers are used here! How do you know where to eat without getting sick? Are you drinking the water or do you buy bottled? .....And congrats on your job. That's really cool.

Heather Larson said...

I know! It is crazy! And Sarah I have no idea how we haven't gotten sick yet. We eat at the same places a lot but when we try a new place, we just cross our fingers that we don't get sick. But we use bottle water for everything, even brushing our teeth!