Sunday, June 24, 2012

Endings in Swiss = new beginnings in Italia.

Our last days in Switzerland were spent in the capital, Bern. It was a gorgeous city filled with history and free bike rentals so of course we loved it. The night we got there was spent trying to find a reasonable place to eat. Although I loved Switzerland, one thing was for sure: The food is EXPENSIVE! Usually I would have the mind set "we're in Europe so lets live it up" but to me $30 for a salad (not exaggerating) ain't worth it. So after searching for an hour, we finally decided on a $15 kabob instead (not very good and still not exaggerating). The next day we explored the city for a few hours and went to some awesome farmers markets in front of the capital building there. Later on, we headed towards another close by town to visit the temple there. It was awesome, we got to do a session in French and the members were so helpful and kind. We managed to snap one decent picture before freezing to death in the rain/windy weather. We stayed at the patron housing and would highly recommend it. The next day we left bright and early to make our way to Venice, Italy. Our train stopped in Brig and I had to have Britton jump out and take a picture of the sign for my nephew. I was a little worried that he wouldn't make back in time and he can run pretty fast! All in all, Switzerland was good to us and we were glad to have had the opportunity to see this beautiful land. 
Venice, Italy. Everyone says that Venice is smelly, crowded, and dirty. Although that isn't entirely false, I still think it is a magical city.  I was so glad that Britton thought so too. With only one night there, we didn't waste any time seeing this quaint little town. We first stopped at our hotel and something happened to our room so we ended up being upgraded to a better hotel nearby. It was actually the fanciest place we stayed in during the whole trip so that was an awesome surprise. Next stop was gelato. And not just any gelato but we had to try my favorite flavor: cookies. It isn't at every  shop so we had to search around for a bit. Britton made fun of me at first for wanting to film him for his first bite but afterwards he understood my love. The above picture is what it looks like when I fall in love. You must go to Italy at least for the gelato! Anyways, we had a great time getting lost in alleys and visiting the Rialto Bridge and San Marco Square. Our first meal in Italy was pizza of course. I was getting Britton excited talking it up but we were sorely disappointed. The pizza in Venice was nothing special and I kept telling Britton that this wasn't what I remembered. Later that night we found out that Venice is known for having the worst pizza in Italy so that made me feel a little better. Something else that was pretty neat about the place is that it is the only city in the world that is pedestrian-only so it's crazy when you notice how quiet it is without any cars.  Venice was a great start to the Italy adventure.