Sunday, September 23, 2012

Mount Yellow.

Huang Shan (Yellow Mountain) was next on our list of weekend getaways. We went there last weekend and it was definitely an adventure....If I had to list my contributions to our marriage, one of them is personal travel agent. Whenever we travel, I always plan everything out...hotels, maps of buses, ect. to ensure that everything goes smoothly. Britton and Chris kept talking about going to Yellow Mountain and it wasn't until 8:30pm after work did Britton tell me that we had a 10:30pm train ride to catch. It was very unlike me to have Britton plan out the trips but I am way more dependent here than I am in the States (something else that I've had to get used too). So next thing we knew, we were in a sleeper train, on our way to Huang Shan. We got there bright and early on Friday and were ready for the 8.5 km (or 5.5 mile) hike up the mountain. I guess I underestimated how high that was because it was ALOT of steps. Although I was tired when we got to the top, the scenery was beautiful! One thing you couldn't help but notice on the way to the top was these men that were porters for the hotels and restaurants that were at the top. You would see these amazing men haul up 4 watermelons, a TV, and bags of rice all the way to the top of the mountain. And that is just one man. I just wanted to help them but realized I could barely handle a camera bag myself. I am weak sauce. These men were the definition of perseverance. Once we got to the top, it was now time to find a hotel. Britton and Chris were proud of themselves for making a deal and getting us the cheapest hotel on the mountain but it definitely came with a price. It was disgusting, well by American standards at least so Tori and I took naps in our rain ponchos just incase there was something on our beds. As the sun went down, we started to feel what humid/cold feels like and we were dying without a heater in our room, it was so cold so Britton heated up a water bottle for me and I slept with that all night long. This all might sound miserable but it really wasn't and in the morning, it was worth it. We woke up extra early to see the sunrise and it was amazing! I have never seen anything like it. And as you can see, the Chinese were pretty excited about it as well. I got my head shoved down a few times from so many people taking pictures. We ended up going home later that afternoon but it was way fun and an adventure for sure. Thanks Britton, you did good. I will give you some credit:)

2 people said...:

Sarah said...

That is breathtaking!! (not the room....:)

Akriti said...

Hi... Lovely photographs.